Recently, everyday costs, including for energy, food, water, fuel, council tax and more have risen significantly.
These cost of living pressures are impacting everybody across the country and having spoken with Eastbourne constituents, local businesses and dealt with a number of casework enquires, I know that many people in Eastbourne are facing increased costs.
To assist with the rising cost of living, the government is provided over £37 billion of support last year which is largely targeted at those most in need. As part of the support package delivered, almost all of the eight million most vulnerable households will have got £1,200 of one-off support last year.
For 2023, the Goverment has expanded this support to include the below:
- £900 in 2023/24 is to be delivered in three instalments for those on eligible means tested benefits which will help 8 million households. This comes after payments totalling £650 were delivered in 2022.
- 6.7 million people on disability benefits will receive a £150 cost of living payment. This follows a £150 payment that was delivered in October 2022.
- A £300 cost of living payment, in addition to Winter Fuel Payments, have been allocated to pensioners. This is following a £300 cost of living payment that was delivered in November 2022.
- The £400 Energy Bill Support Scheme for all households has supported people facing increases in energy costs.
- The Energy Price Guarantee that was announced on 8th September 2022 was due to end in April. However the Government, through £4bn worth of funding, is maintaining the Energy Price Guarantee at £2,500 for the next three months until June 2023. This will save the average household £160 during this time. Additionally, the premium that over 4 million households pay on their prepayment meter will end.
- The Household Support Fund, which was first established in September 2021, has been extended from April 2023 to March 2024 in England. This is backed by additional funding of £1billion to support local authorities in helping the most vulnerable with the cost of living pressures.
As your local MP, I am doing everything I can to help assist during this difficult period. Below I have compiled a list of key points of contact to assist you during this time. As ever, I remain on hand to help with any specific enquiries so please do email me at firstname.lastname@example.org